- The UK has 4 Trident nuclear “Vanguard” Submarines.
- 1 is operational at-sea, 1 “undergoing maintenance”, 2 in port or “training” manoeuvres.
- Each Vanguard Submarine as part of the Trident system carries 3 nuclear warheads and 16 missiles.
- Renewal Cost, of the Cold War era system is estimated at £15-20 bn ($23-30 bn).
- Annual operation cost is around £1.7bn according to UK MoD.
- The planned renewal proposed by the Government will make the system operational until 2060s according to.
- The annual announced Defense Budget in the UK is £34bn ($51.3bn).
Source: BBC News